Portrait Lighting

Angi --

   I'd recommend the normal "Portrait Lighting Kit", something like a 1200 w/s pack, three heads, three stands, two brollies (silver, white, 32"-48"), one snoot for the back light, and a case for the works. Here in the US, one ought to be able to nab such a thing ready-to-go for $1,400 new, $600-900 used. Add a used Minolta Flashmeter III ($100-150), and a basic portrait lighting book ($30), and that should do it. The kit will work (once you've learned lighting basics AND HAVE DONE SOME TESTING -- not on a job -- to make sure you know what  you're doing)  from the first time out, it will come in its own case, so it will be easy to carry, and if one follows the instructions in the book,
and at this point, almost any basic portrait lighting book will do,
the pictures will look good. I'd add a Polaroid, or better yet, a digital camera with a PC plug (a midle of the road Olympus) to visually check the  quality of light, but I have a feeling that is beyond the SMALL BUDGET at this time. This kit will also enable one to do many other kinds of jobs besides portraiture, with some additions.

   --- Luis
  :