Re: budget, portable portrait lighting advice please

 SMALL BUDGET! But the best
quality....

Thanks, Angi

I would go along with Richard on the mono-lights. I don't do school photos or weddings, but I use them occasionally for location work. They are easy to use, very portable and would probably be less expensive than a kit. I not really up on recent prices but I wouldn't be afraid to buy used mono-lights. I think this would most likely fit your budget

However, it seems to me that you need to bone up a little before you jump into this. I'd check out the local library to see if they have any good books on portrait photography and/or lighting. If not, a good book might be a good investment. (Something simple like *The Photographer's Guide to Light* by Ted Schwarz and Brian Stoppee) The more you know,the more money you are to save.

I just received a catalog from B&H on lighting products that was over 820 pages. There is a lot of stuff out there and it can get a little confusing.
--
Joe Miller