Re: budget, portable portrait lighting advice please

Le 7.2.2003 7:46, « Angi Turnpaugh » <shutterbug123@hotmail.com> a écrit :

> HI Everyone!  I am looking to purchase a portrait light system to do
> portraits on location such as pre-schools, school dances, dance school
> portraits etc....what do you recommend?? SMALL BUDGET! But the best
> quality....how many lights? umbrellas? what kind of reflectors? sync cords
> or slaves? etc...also, any prob with used? or best to stay with new? I have
> two 35mm cameras, a Minolta XTSI and a Canon AE-1 Program.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Angi

Hi Angi,

I own a set made by Multiblitz
http://www.multiblitz.de/en/index.html
(it's not possible to give direct link, but if you click on the "Products"
tab, you'll be at the right place to follow my description)

I first ordered the Compactlights models (rather aimed at amateur
photographers) : but their pilot light is not adjustable and I returned them
the week after they came, changing for the Profilux models, which have
adjustable halogen pilot lights. I found it's easier to learn with the
adjustable pilot light and much more comfortable and it's worth the price
difference.

I got only the 200 watts models, partly because higher wattage costs much
more, but also because with small wattage they are much lighter and hence
more portable.

What they call the "location set" is composed of two lights with two
umbrellas and the needed reflectors and stands (Manfrotto stands, aka Bogen
in the US).

I'm very happy with that purchase; the 200 watts are ok for waist portraits,
but may be not for full size portraits. They are well adapted for my needs,
because I lack space and can't put them far away from the subject, depending
on where you are shooting and whether you have fast lenses or not, your
mileage my vary. Sometimes I regret not having a third light to use for the
hairs or the background and think that I should have got the Comfort set
composed of three lights stored in a nice box : now I'll have to rack my
brain to get every part right if I decide to order a third light.

I have played with the idea to get a third, more powerful light (may be 600
watts) with a light box and some other accessories to light the background,
or add a catch light. The Multiblitz allows you to complete your equipment
as needed, but there are so many different parts to combine, that it can get
difficult.

Multiblitz is a German firm and I've not had any quality problem with the
lights. However I don't have the needs of a pro and don't make heavy use of
them.

Good luck with your purchase.

--
Christiane