Figure models

> Re PF member's exhibits at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

> Andrew Davidhazy - Figure
> Not over-impressed by this image she looks uncomfortable. Do you use any
> special techniques to get the lady to go naked? One college I was at said
> they used hypnotism. Some of our UK colleges get their models from ladies
> who have committed minor offences such as shoplifting and are doing
> community service. I understand hypnosis is used there too. Any comments?

I put an ad in the local newspaper and state clearly that I am looking for
figure models and that a small fee will be paid and photos provided. If someone
answers then I  make doubly sure they understand it is nude modeling the ad
talks about. Usually the conversation ends right there and we never work
together. But once in a while I make a connection to people who have either
already have worked as figure models for "life drawing" classes or who simply
understand and want to collaborate and obtain not only the fee but also some
photographs of themselves.

I am not sure about working with someone under duress such as you mention might
be done in the UK - I don't think that asking someone, or even offering a
chance, to do "community service" by taking their clothes off is ethical or
proper.

But if a request is broadcast widely and some people find the opportunity of
interest under the given, prestated, conditions then the situation is
different. Even so, once I was quite taken aback at one model who told me, as
we were working, she was only there for the fee because she had financial
problems. I would have stopped the session right there but decided to give her
credit for her "gumption" to deal with life's problems and recognize her
effort. We worked on stroboscopic motion photographs and you saw one of them a
few weeks ago.

I have also offered the opportunity to have a portrait according to a couple of
samples I provide the station (nude portraits) made over local public
broadcasting network when they try to auction off goods and services to keep
their operation afloat. Last year several people bid on the opportunity and I
made the photograph (she brought her husband to the session - who was not very
intrusive at all and let us work in peace although I did share the polaroids as
they were being made with him).

This "ruse" is great because I get a model without having to ask anyone, the
model gets a photograph they hopefully like and the station gets the bid money.
We all benefit in some way. The only drawback is that in this case I did not
require that the model sign a model release although I asked if it would be OK
to include the image in gallery exhibitions, etc. and got a verbal ok.

andy

PS: BTW, I do not photograph students at our university although once one came
back 2 years after graduation and asked for a Phoenix Process figure portrait.