Re: Bulldog Sauce

Jim Davis <ydavis@hkg.odn.ne.jp> writes:

...[snip]
> while searching my local Tokyo discount market today, I came across
> Bulldog Sauce. It was the first time I'd ever seen or heard of it.
> Howz it used? Is it a steak sauce?

Well, it's brown gloop. As far as I know, there are exactly two
countries in the world full of people who immediately know what to do
with this stuff, and they are Britain and Japan. There was a fascinating
tv series late night many years ago (whose title I always muddle up, but
something like "nazo-gaku no tabi") which dealt with particular
things/ideas that have travelled the world. The history of "sauce" is
all about shoyu being sent from Japan to England, where they, er, cooked
it, mixed in some other magic ingredients, and somehow sent it back to
Japan.

Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
Jigsaw puzzles from Japan at: