imac problems

This was a plea from an AIPP member that went out recently in Australia -
any help anyone could offer would be appreciated

>Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 00:11:04 +1100
>Hi ,
>l'm wondering if you could forward this message to all AIPP members as I'm
>currently in more strife than Speed Gordon.
>l've ]ust purchased a new i-mac 800 LCD computer. I told the salesman that
>was buying the unit primarily for photographic imaging, utilising Photoshop
>7.0
>During installation I realised that this computer does not offer a contrast
>adjustment for the monitor. As a consequence, there is no way for me to use
>my lab-supplied ICC Profile to balance any images on my monitor to those
>being produced by my lab. This problem seems to exist only with LCD screens
>for i-mac and e-mac computers. As there are no knobs or dials attached to
an LCD monitor, calibration is actually carried out through the operating
>system's (OS-X) software which, I suspect, offers the ability to adjust
>contrast only on the more expensive LCD monitors.

>The good folk where I bought the computer have shown little interest in my
>predicament. The even gooder folk at Apple, while accepting that the
problem exists, aren't all that keen to do squat didly about it.
>Right now I'm considering doing the Basil Faulty and, imagining for a
moment that the computer is a garden gnome, planting it right up my friendly
>retailers garden patch.  If there are any AIPP members out there with LCD
screen's and OS-X operating
>systems who have found a way around this, eg. a third party application,
>please let me know. I might even mow your grass for you.

We recently had a crop of the new beasts installed at our college and I
notice on the nice 17" monitor that magenta curve crosses, that is to say
when the monitor displays a grey scale, the pale greys drift into the
magenta before returning to grey then they drift off into the green before
full black is achieved (!)

While our 'mac man' assures me that this is something photographers will
'get used to' I can't possibly imagine crossed colour curves on a display
could ever be something one could get used to.  After he fiddled with the
displays and the OS (10.2)for a bit he concluded there was no facility to
change the crossing of the curve.

As stated above, any comments or advice would be welcome

thanks

karl