Re: Macro & teleconverters

> increase in magnification.  It might not be exactly that if you use
> micrometer to measure it because the 1.4 quoted will be "at infinity
> focus" but I suspect any difference is trivial.<<<
>
> Pardon my confusion, there is no real gain at minimum focus?

At the risk of upsetting Luis by referring to technical minutiae ...

... trivial means trivial.  The magnification at close focus will be
*almost* exactly the same as at infinity - 1.4.

Minimum focus distance is not changed.

If you read the camera mags you will get a lot of stuff regurgitated
... I only have experience to go on.

Your lens at 1:1 will be behaving as if it's f was 70-80 mm.  Stick on
a 35mm extn tube and get ca 1.4x or use a 1.4 converter.  I suspect
the difference in quality will be undetectable.  If you have an
extension tube, put it between the lens and the extender ...

Bob