Re: Macro & teleconverters

> I am green when it comes to macro work, but I have recently
purchased a 105
> macro. What happens to reproduction/mag ratios when you add a 1.4
> Teleconverter? Or, is this not advised?

Your question, largely a 1.4 converter will give you close to 1.4
increase in magnification.  It might not be exactly that if you use a
micrometer to measure it because the 1.4 quoted will be "at infinity
focus" but I suspect any difference is trivial.

Using all Canon stuff I prefer to add a "teleconverter" (1.4 or 2.0 x)
whenever possible instead of excessive lengths of extension tubes.

In my experience the theoretical loss of resolution resulting fron the
inclusion of any glass elelments anywhere is more than offset by the
fact you are using the lens closer to it's "designed".

Much of the "loss of resolution" is simply that you are multiplying
what is there anyway.  But if you need to go to 1.4:1 life size, the
teleconverter will give a better print size for size than cropping and
blowing up the image captured  at 1:1.

Of course, for digital cameras "cropping" is now correctly called
"focal length multiplication" ;o)