Re: National Geographic & Disclosure

Rich Mason posted -

The Atlantic Monthly--Photography in the Age of Falsification
The wildlife photography we see in films, books, and periodicals is often
stunning in its design, import, and aesthetics. It may also be fake,
enhanced, or manufactured by emerging digital technologies that have
transformed -- some say contaminated -- the photography landscape
by Kenneth Brower
And if it's the only way? Some years ago I was involved in trapping Mountain Pigmy Possums for a BBC crew. They're a jerbil sized marsupial that lives underground in treacherous boulder scree on a seasonal diet of moths. The photographer was only able to 16mm film them by constructing a diorama in the ski lodge nearby and placing trapped animals and prey in the box. Needless to say, the footage went to air with a subtitle announcing that the scene was simulated.
More recently, to achieve a similar but more authentic result, an expensive long term engineering project was first undertaken and then the crew endured miserable conditions for a long period. The results in terms of photographic quality may be lesser.
In this case, you can have cheap, quick AND good but not honest. Take your pick.
AndrewF