Re: National Geographic & Disclosure

In a message dated 1/11/03 11:52:53, chilled_delirium@mailstation.com writes:

<<    In the _From the Editor_ column of the current NG, Bill Allen writes on
disclosure (literally) of digital manipulation and NG's policy on the matter.

  "Our policy: Altering the content of photos in National Geographic is
unacceptable. Any exception must be explained so that readers won't confuse
those images with the documentary images that are our mainstay. "

   In my opinion, this is as it should be. I also see nothing wrong with
several publishers with like ideas forming an association and their own
standards -- for themselves.. Note that  NG will (and in this issue does) use
digital manipulation for editorial illustration, but they clearly state when
this is the case.  >>

I'm glad for their policy too, but it took a bit of doing, didn't it?  When
they altered the placement of the pyramids on the 1982 cover the policy had
not yet been established, and it was only after a hue and cry on revelation
of the manipulation that the policy was put in place.  The manipulation
without revelation (rather like taxation without representation) was a huge
blow to their credibility and reputation.  It still lingers more than 20
years later.

In surfing about for more information on the cover that started the flap I
came across some very good reading on photo ethics and manipulation, as well
as photography in general:

A great read with lots of food for thought:

The Atlantic Monthly--Photography in the Age of Falsification
The wildlife photography we see in films, books, and periodicals is often
stunning in its design, import, and aesthetics. It may also be fake,
enhanced, or manufactured by emerging digital technologies that have
transformed -- some say contaminated -- the photography landscape

by Kenneth Brower
http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/98may/photo.htm

>From the NPPA:

Ethics in the Age of Digital Photography
http://www.nppa.org/services/bizpract/eadp/eadp8.html

Speaks of the National Geographic and the manipulation of the cover which led
to the current policy of revealing such alterations.

Cheers,

Rich Mason
Photographer-at-Large
<A HREF="http://www.richmason.com/";>http://richmason.com</A>