Re: LENSES

Bob Blakely <Bob@Blakely.com> writes:

> Oh come off it Mr. "I just want to argue to show everyone how smart I am but
> screwed it up." If some one spouted that they had an "F 0.5 lens", they
> would just be showing that they were an ignorant ass - oh, wait, maybe
> that's you! First of all, by convention it's "f/" not "F". Note the "/". We
> may say, "eff eight", but we only do so because saying "eff divided by
> eight" is just to God damned many syllables.

We do, yes, but the convention (AFAIK universal) in Japanese writing is
that it's "F2", and if the Japanese catalog says "F2", then a certain
sort of translator (me!) turns this into "f/2", because that's what we
say in English, but a different sort of translator says "What we have
here includes no marks that trace their ancestry to China, so the marks
need no changing. F2." They get paid, I get complaints because I
"changed" things. So look in your Canon or Nikon lens catalog...

Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
Jigsaw puzzles from Japan at:
http://imaginatorium.org/shop/