National Geographic & Disclosure

   In the _From the Editor_ column of the current NG, Bill Allen writes on disclosure (literally) of digital manipulation and NG's policy on the matter.

  "Our policy: Altering the content of photos in National Geographic is unacceptable. Any exception must be explained so that readers won't confuse those images with the documentary images that are our mainstay. "

   In my opinion, this is as it should be. I also see nothing wrong with several publishers with like ideas forming an association and their own standards -- for themselves.. Note that  NG will (and in this issue does) use digital manipulation for editorial illustration, but they clearly state when this is the case.

     -- Luis