Re: :Re: Honest Street Photos - Was Gallery review 12-28

  Andrew Fildes writes ---
>. I've suspected staging with many Doisneau  images - i.e. the one of >the couple peering into the antique shop  window, she at the object >d'art, he at the nude painting to one side.  Funny, a neat comment but >a little too contrived to be a candid. The  couple are just too perfect >for their roles.

  Funny, I have had the same suspicion long before the controversy about "the kiss" emerged, about the images you mention, and others, specially some of children. They're still great, iconic images, no matter what....and let's face it: Perhaps .05% of the American public knows of Doisneau. Probably .001% of them know the faux-thenticity of the Kiss. In other words, outside of France, all of this is so obscure as to be beyond irrelevant, except to those of us who steal photons.

   In the end, the camera can neither lie nor tell the truth. All it can do is project echoes of light onto film, pixel, and paper (or screens) and transform what is before it.

                     --- Luis