Re: :Re: Honest Street Photos - Was Gallery review 12-28

  Andrew Fildes writes ---
>>. I've suspected staging with many Doisneau  images - i.e. the one of
>>the couple peering into the antique shop  window, she at the object
>d'art, he at the nude painting to one side.  Funny, a neat comment but
>a little too contrived to be a candid. The  couple are just too perfect
>for their roles.

that was one of a series, wasn't it?  The story I heard was that he bunged
the nude picture in the window and set up a camera specifically to record
reactions of passing people (I also heard he had to stop doing it as it
raised huge crowds and upset a few of the more puritanical folk)

Luis responds:
> Funny, I have had the same suspicion long before the controversy about
"the kiss" emerged, about the images you mention, and others, specially some
of children. They're still great, iconic images, no matter what....and let's
face it: Perhaps .05% of the American public knows of Doisneau. Probably
.001% of them know the faux-thenticity of the Kiss. In other words, outside
of France, all of this is so obscure as to be beyond irrelevant, except to
those of us who steal photons.

The image sells as a poster here in Oz along with many iconic B&W's of years
gone by.  Very popular..

>In the end, the camera can neither lie nor tell the truth. All it can do is
project echoes
>of light onto film, pixel, and paper (or screens) and transform what is
before it.

..into a 2 dimentional, smaller representation of what was there, to be
interpreted by humans as they please

(ever heard someone say "oh just look at that cake!" when staring at a
photograph?    ..funny really, dogs never drool when confronted with an
image of food)

Looking back through my pics there are many that please me for their ability
to evoke memories of stuff.  Some are straight image captures (techy bits
left out) while others are staged in such a way as to transcend the
limitations of the media or the timing, creating a subjective representation
of that which was percieved at the time - (girl sticks head fleetingly out
of window to look at weather, recreated by shouting 'Oi, look at the rain!'
.. wait for shot then grab it)

I don't know if it's 'honest' or not, but if anyone asks how the picture was
made I'll tell them all I can.

karl