Re: :Re: Honest Street Photos - Was  Gallery review 12-28-02

In a message dated 1/6/03 6:22:56 AM, shahjen@iinet.net.au writes:

So what the hell IS street photography?

Even on the streetphoto list (
http://www.topica.com/lists/streetphoto) nobody seems quite sure of a precise definition.  About as close as I've read was this bit by Jawed:

" It seems to me that people on this list are interested in photographing "signs of human presence, absence, impact on landscape; human interaction, communication, cultural skid marks; the boundaries between the personal, the corporate and the societal." Maybe we photographers only do so as a vector for our interior worlds, or maybe we only do it for the pleasure of engaging with the local slither of the world at large.

Whatever, people on the list are engaging with "humanity". We're not engaging with still lives, or fashion, or orchids or craters on the moon. Our concern is with life being lived around us, and our photographic eyes that slip and slide, selecting and then sharing portions of our experience or our discovery..."

Or was he describing post-documentary photography?

Cheers,

Rich Mason
Photographer-at-Large
http://richmason.com