Re: Honest Street Photos - Was Gallery review 12-28-02

Forum Members,

My 2 cents worth:

All photography is about perception. If perception is altered, the feeling
engendered from the photo is altered. Doisneau's image means something
different to a viewer when it is looked upon as a staged image. That is not
a value judgement (bad, good, etc.), it is just the way life is. I went
years with one feeling, now I have another.

Photojournalists are held to different standards than any other phase of
photography. Newspapers and newsmagazines must be held accountable for
whatever "truth" lies out there in the world. Journalists are taught ethics
and are expected to adhere to standards. They are fired if they deviate.
This is probably A Good Thing.

Nature photographers set their own standards. Each person has to decide for
themself how far they will deviate from what they see. My guess is that all
who enter the field initially set out to record only the "truth," and then
alter their perception ot "truth" as they become more competitive and must
bring home ever more interesting images.

For what it is worth, I see no more problem in removing a leaf or a bush
(physically or even FIPS it) than in using Velvia film or a polarizer
filter. None of these circumstances show the scene as the photographer
actually saw it, although they do show the scene as the photographer
pre-envisions it to be.

I am looking forward to a "Street Photography" gallery. As oft stated, it is
a phase of photography I do not fully appreciate because of a lack of
understanding. Immersion would be good.

This has been a really interesting thread. My thanks especially to Karl for
his enlightening comments about Bresson.

peace,

rand