OT - Re: Apple shooting

From: Gregory david Stempel <fyrframe@centurytel.net>
Subject: Re: Apple shooting
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 10:31:09 -0800

Andy and Greg,

>>>Well, I think it takes a physicist to really explain it but I believe
that the
stuff that goes out backwards is caused by the material, early on in the
event,
not being able to go forwards (too much apple ahead) and the area or
direction
of least resistance for stuff the projectile pushes out of the way is
backwards. Eventually the front rips open and then material is pushed and
also
carried forwards by the bullet.<<<<<

Actually, I think it's based on the pressure waves the precede the bullet.
You may remember the classic image of the bullet captured in mid flight, an
old high speed black and white. It shows sound and pressure waves leading
back and away from the lead point of the bullet. Our air has mass is the
reason for this. The front impact on the apple is a physical representation
of this affect. The pressure waves take the general form of whatever
projectile that's creating them and it is these waves that hit the apple
first. The apple's density exceeds the air density and therefore the
material is pushed out and away rather than into the apple.
well with this post the whole issue becomes OT hence the change in the subject line.

i beg to differ.
i know for a fact that the forces inside an apple shot are related to hydrodynamics mostly (fluid pressure in a more simple term)
do not forget that all things in nature contain a big amount of water (our bodies about 63%, a cucumber 99%, cannot remember the apple content)
so whenever a force is applied in such a closed system, and in this case the bullet force and it's HUGE energy, we are talking GREAT hydrodynamic forces raging within. so any opening will spew accelerated material
(andy, can you make an estimation of the apple material exit speed, corelating the bullet speed, its elongated shape length, the length of the material spewed backwards and the shutter speed?)

that may seem grim to alot, but it is just what happen in the Kennnedy assasination.

the exploding apple thing is actually a Forensics expert's (MED EXAM)
textbook case.

that's all, and since we have strayed from photography, any further discussion will be carried through personal e-mails by me..
that's all folks,

and may you have a happy, marvelous, productive NEW YEAR!
kostas

I'm no physicist, just read a lot.

Take care,
Gregory david Stempel
FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g

so... no matter what, CHEER UP MY FRIENDS! Life is too precious to jump the other side of the fence...
kostas papakotas / clenched teeth photography
http://groups.msn.com/clenchedteethphotography/home.html
'COS SOMETIMES IT IS BETTER WITH CLENCHED TEETH!