Re: The new Website

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer <ernstphoto@msn.com> writes:

> Hi folks,  Just wanted to share my lst website.  It's not complete as of
> yet, but we're getting there.  Some pages have images on them and some
> don't.  Everything should be up and running by the end of Jan.
>
> www.ErnstPhoto.com
>
> Please offer comments and feedback, either negative or positive, I'm pretty
> thick skinned most of the time.

Your page attempts to interfere with normal browser operation:

document.onmousedown=right;
document.onmouseup=right;
if (document.layers) window.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
if (document.layers) window.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEUP);
window.onmousedown=right;
window.onmouseup=right;

(a) This doesn't work: I'm using Opera, and even if I wanted to, I can't
display your popup thingie.

(b) It's therefore a waste of time, and moreover misguided, since it
announces (to users of the Gates masterpiece) that you intend to treat
your visitors as suspected criminals. This does not induce trust or
respect.

I currently have a very small monitor: the layout doesn't adjust, so I
have to scroll sideways to see things, even though there would be plenty
of room with a fluid design.

Nice photographs. I think if you want to get attention (i.e. a
reasonable number of visitors), what you _have_ to do is find some way
to have a lot of text. Write an essay about your photography; get a
friend to write an essay in exchange for providing photographs for her
poetry website. Whatever. The fact is that search engines can't find
any images very effectively, and can't really find art images at all,
since they can only search for words.

> I'm sure after a year or two I'll be ready for another.

Why would one need to have more than one website?

> http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU=
> http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_virusprotection_3mf

Hmm. Well something that *definitely* helps eliminate e-mail viruses
better than anything from Micro$oft is just about *any* software that
doesn't come from Micro$oft; they didn't invent viruses, but they
pioneered the general approach to software that makes such things
inevitable.

Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
Jigsaw puzzles from Japan at: