Re: Luis' Gallery Review, Part II

At 02:18 PM 12/26/2002 +0000, you wrote:

David Thompson, "University of Texas Tower" --

An elegantly composed and beautifully lit architectural of this building. It was here that a sniper (named Charles Whitman, I think) with a brain tumor nested and went on a killing spree decades ago, and David's image is a great restoration of its rightful symbol of pride at the University.
I might have been tempted to tone down the fountain a bit.

Actually, thank you to everyone who reviewed my image. Yes, Charles Whitman climbed the tower with a few rifles, and thanks to US Marine training, he was able to kill 16 students in August of 1966 before a policeman and a by-stander managed to get up there and kill him.

About the image. E100 has a very sharp curve. I took the best exposed image and scanned it without screwing with it. In a perfect world, I could have not only had the fountain down a stop, but also the clock face on the tower. In a sneaky Photoshop world, I can do this by scanning both images and applying one to the other. I'm a purist.

About the color. Burnt orange is the school's color, so the orange of the tower was enhanced by the film (daylight and lights are tungsten gelled orange). I must have been the only pro there that night, as I was the only shooter with a tripod and without a flash. I was lucky the sky went totally black as it covered up a totally non-photogenic construction crane just to the right of the tower.

Dave

"The more time you have to think things through, the more you have to screw it up."
--Clint Eastwood