Re: :Re: The Gift

Luis managed to contain his anger at me long enought to type out...

> >Robert writes --
>           <snipped cynicism>
>
>   As to the allusion that Mr. Valdes did this for publicity, so far he's received zero from his hometown media, and only a tiny write-up in a paper in a town 30 miles away from his market.

Ok, Not receiving publicity does not preclude the notion that it may
have been the initial inspiration for the project. Or at least a small
part of it.

>He did the same thing last year, receiving no notice whatsoever that
I'm aware of,

If he is doing it again this year? Than one might assume that publicity
is not the driving force for his actions.

>was there an exhibit of the portraits.

There was? Or was not?

>I appreciate Robert's championing the cause of the homeless, however,
and know he applies all of his energy, obvious experience, and earnest
dedication into making someone's life a little better.

Well, yes. Mostly my own, though in addition to the aforementioned
donation of photographic energies for United Way, I volunteer my efforts
to The Childrens Hospital, Aids Vancouver, and most reccently to the
food bank for holiday distribution of foodstuffs and gifts for the needy.
I do not offer free portrait sittings, prints, framing or matting.
I do hope someday to be able to afford to give everyone at the local
homeless shelter a Cadillac but that is just a dream at this point.

>I hope he will find forgiveness for Mr. Valdes' charitable ineptitude,
and maybe even show him the way.

In the end I believe it was the announcement that Mr. Valdes' offerings
had a retail value of $2300.00 a pop that set me off. It struck me as
vulgar.

It is clear that Mr. Valdes is a friend or acquaintence of yours Luis
and that you sincerely feel that his efforts are noble in intent. I
apologize for taking offense.

I was reminded of a local artist who put together a show of portraits he
took of the crack whores downtown. He made a big deal about the fact
that he donated to them and how his images were going to help bring
their plight to light.
Many of them are dead now and he is still selling prints.

Thank God he doesn't command $2300 apiece.