Re: The Gift

I am sure their grandchildren will gaze lovingly at it for years to
come. "Gosh Mommy! You were so cute back then, living in the shelter
with grandma!" "And did you notice how those inks haven't faded a bit?
It's no wonder Pepito Valdez (normally) got $2300.00 for those heirloom
portraits salon mounted on masterpiece canvas!"

(http://www.tappa.org/Pepito%20Valdes.html)

I am sorry but it seems so self-serving and ludicrous. I mean, why the
homeless? I can't afford $2300.00 family portraits either. Why not hand
out coupons to people in line at the Sears portrait gallery for free
portaits? Would that be less admirable? These are people that DO want
portraits to remind them of the season. Some of them are surely as poor
as churchmice. Would that get some publicity? No, that would make Mr.
Valdez appear to be stupid, wouldn't it? Why would it be any different
if Mr Alvarez shot some nice polaroids of the kids and presented them in
little cardboard folders? The rewards would be immediate, as great and
much easier for a homeless family to store and transport.

Next we'll hear about the homeless show at the local gallery. (It will
be FABULOUS!!! A portion of all fine art print sales will go to the
homeless, naturally. Some of whom, remarkably, are these very same subjects!)

These people are homeless and the best we can do is give them framed
portraits of themselves?

(Did we mention that these portraits have a retail value of $2300.00? Oh
yeah! And Fuji donated the film? Reedy is going to print them?)

Next year Mr. Alvarez should donate 10% of his holiday portrait sales to
the shelter. He probably won't get nearly the publicity but it will go
further towards getting these families back on track.

My apologies to the list and Mr. Valdez for my unsavory reaction to what
I am sure was a genuine and selfless gesture of kindness.