Re: The Gift

Well, Bah Hum Bug to you, Robert! If my children and I were homeless, and
believe you me, I thank God every day for what we have, I would love nothing
more than to have a portrait of my children.  As a mother, to me it would be
the greatest gift......beyond any disposable gift that we all seem to give
and receive every Holiday.  I would cherish a family portrait my entire
life.

Happy Holidays!
Colette

> Well, that was certainly helpful, wasn't it?
> A portrait of oneself at possibly the lowest point of your life and no
> wall to hang it on.
> Why not give the homeless people in your area a couch? If they don't
> care to push it around in a stolen shopping cart, at least they could
> sell it and buy Big Macs.

> luis wrote:
> >
> >   Yesterday, on Christmas morning, Pepito Valdes lugged his equipment on
location for a portrait session. He set up his Hasselblad and lights. Fuji
had furnished the film for free for this one. Reedy Photofinishers
volunteered the development and printing. He was assisted by Brian Sweet,
and photographers Daniel Perry and James Roel.

> >    The subjects were homeless families at the Metropolitan Ministries
shelter in Tampa, Florida. Mr. Valdes normally charges $2300 or more  for a
portrait, but yesterday it was a gift. "All I'm doing is keeping a record of
the family", he said... "they're not homeless to me, they're just children".
The photos will be framed and given to these families, many of which are the
victims of domestic violence. It was hard to get some of his subjects to
smile, but Mr. Valdes is a charming man.