Re: Fast Lenses: Why so expensive?

Kevin asks:
> I have a question concerning fast lenses as to why they are so expensive.
I under stand that a fast lens allow for more light by providing a larger
diaphragm opening. I am curious as to why this results in such a large price
increase between, for example,a  f3.5  and a f1.4 lens. Anyone know the
answer?

well...

in addition to what others have said

diameter of the aperture = focal length / aperture (f number)
so if we are considering an 85mm f3.5 lens we are talking of an aperture of
24.3mm
so if we are considering an 85mm f1.4 lens we are talking of an aperture of
61mm

all the elements (of course) have to be large enough to allow the light to
pass unobstructed through that aperture with the correct angle of view so
the front element in particular becomes quite large - you can't just have a
tiny front element and a big aperture inside, so we're talking about big
bits of glass in fast lenses.

Imagine having to grind a precision lens that is more than twice the size of
it's smaller, slower counterpart and still maintain good optical
characteristics!

karl