Re: Fast Lenses: Why so expensive?

Kevin - simply put the faster the lens the more correction has to be designed into the lens so the distortions don't get the best of the image. The opposite of this design requirement is the pin hole camera - a hole without a lens at say f/256 will give you an image albeit not terribly sharp. The more technical on the list can give you all the technical reasons.

ernie