Re: Fast Lenses: Why so expensive?

Karl Shah-Jenner <shahjen@iinet.net.au> writes:

> so if we are considering an 85mm f3.5 lens we are talking of an aperture of
> 24.3mm
> so if we are considering an 85mm f1.4 lens we are talking of an aperture of
> 61mm
>

> Imagine having to grind a precision lens that is more than twice the size of
> it's smaller, slower counterpart and still maintain good optical
> characteristics!

Hmm, well, if the diameter is more than twice as big, that's more than
_four_ times as much glass, even if the thickness doesn't increase, so
realistically 6 to 8 times as much.

If you're looking at the specs, you could consider price per gram of
glass??

Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
Jigsaw puzzles from Japan at: