Re: Why bother?

From: "Gregory Fraser"

> So I was wondering if there is some reason, of which I'm not totally
aware, to take photos.

Greg,

Thanks for having raised this discussion.  I'm  going through a similar
process of questionning after having experienced mild coronary problems
this summer - a great reminder that our time on this tiny little planet
is very short in comparison to the life of the universe.

When you really think about it, there is not a great deal of
significance to our own presence on earth (abstracting from what
religion says about the issue, a matter of faith, not fact).  Albert
Camus has written in the most humanistic and simple terms about this
feeling of being "stranger" to yourself and to the world and the fact
that there are no really satisfactory answer to your question.

On the other hand, Minor White wrote his Introduction to "Photography in
America":

"In photography,  ...  , each image, no matter how casual or complex, is
wrested from the chaos and the bewildering compexity of all that the eye
sees.  Every exposure is a discovery, both in the revelation of subject
and the thoughts and emotions of the photographer himself.  The ultimate
achievement is reached when all the elements of craft, content, and
intention are so perfectly balanced that the image is an entity in
spirit and form".

I think that it is the search for this balance that is present in all
our intents leading to the activation of the camera shutter.

When we reach this "perfect balance" (very rarely, if ever) or think
that we have (much more frequently) then we know that the question "Why
bother?" is meaningless.

Happy day,

Guy