Re: Why bother?

Greg asks:

Does anybody know of a good non-monetary reason to take photos (other than
to record our own lives and the big moments in the kiddies lives?

In one sense, Greg has already answered his own question. I guarantee that
the more family photos you take, the richer you will become when your kids
leave the house. My little girl (now 25) still comes back home and we go
over the old photo albums and get excited (really excited!) about seeing the
old times.

But I suspect Greg is looking for a bit deeper meaning. So here is my take
on non-monetary reason to take pictures: CREATIVE EXPRESSION. Mix in a bit
of pride, continual learning, self-improvement and exploration into the
unknown or uncertain.

We all need this kind of stimulation to keep our minds alive as we get
older. Once we stop trying, stop learning and stop creating, we get old.
Folks who retire seem to get visibly older within a year or so when their
purpose for living has been taken away. Photography is a wonderful tool that
can never be fully mastered. There is always something new to learn, new
ways to express one's self. We need to keep the creative aspect of our lives
fertile.

Actually, Greg's problem sounds a lot like burn-out. I will suggest what I
found useful, and from what I read on other lists, other people also have
found useful: Julia Cameron's, _The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher
Creativity_. Cameron has taught classes to overcome burnout and put her
knowledge and experience in this book. It is a GOOD read.

peace,

rand