Re: Well, all photgraphers are perves after all, right?

Bob,

this is getting rather political now, but so be it! You are of course right,
but then, what COULD they do effectively?
The sad truth is that, regardless of how much money you spend on combatting
crime, it's there to stay.
This is especially true for crimes that are not rationally planned attempts
to gain an economic adavantage but motivated by the sexual urges of the
perpetrator.
I very much doubt that there's a way to deter such people. Also, such
"perverts" often strike in a non-public setting of special trust, - it may
be a relative, a teacher, even a catholic priest...
Quite possibly, many people just do not want to admit that they are helpless
against crime and actually WANT to be fooled by the politicians.
Maybe they feel safer seeing a cop dragging away a harmless photographer :-(

On a larger scale: do you think the maesures introduced by Ashcroft et al.
are effective in combatting global terrorism? I very much doubt it.
Same mechanism.
But, before this becomes a political forum rather than a photo group, I'd
like to invite everybody interested over to
http://groups.msn.com/GlobalAffairs/ .

Returning to the photo aspect of this topic: when travelling, you are in
constant danger of violating local laws when taking pictures. I had problems
in Algeria and in the Spain of the Franco era when photographing public
buildings.
I read that plane potters were detained in Britain because they looked
suspicious. And then there's the story about the guy who was arrested for
taking photographs near Cheney's hotel. No telling whether this actually
happened though http://zem.squidly.org/weblog/article/2553 .
So, presumably , it's always best to inform oneself about regulations and
cultural sensitivities before going on that photo trip to a foreign country.

best regards

Laurenz Bobke
http://www.travelphoto.net/