Re: Digital VS real photography

Lea Murphy wrote:

Just as you thought for all those years that you'd never have a darkroom,
right now you can't imagine shooting digital. Lots of people can't...until they do it.

At an inspirational and entertaining lecture last month at George Eastman House, Steve McCurry (National Geo photog, Afghan girl cover, et al.) in response to a question noted that most of the good photographers whom he knows still shoot film. His personal choice is Kodachrome and Ektachrome.

The GEH program sponsoring McCurry is at http://www.eastman.org/Picturing%20What%20Matters%20Programs.htm

Steve McCurry has his own site at
http://www.stevemccurry.com/

There is a beauty and grace in the magic and wizardy of capturing an image
on digital media, popping it into the computer, manipulating it in a way
only dreamed about in the wet darkroom then sending it to print on the
Epson.

I wholeheartedly agree. But even after six digital cameras, I had to purchase another 10 rolls of Kodachrome. At least for me, there is much more substance and less required excess baggage to consider a chrome as artifact that escapes me with the nebulous, digital original.

eugene kowaluk