Re: Gallery Impressions

Here are my impressions of this week's PF Gallery. Betcha couldn't
wait for 'em.

David Small (N.Y.C. 2002) - Interesting shot. A bit high contrast,
lots of black. To me, this shot would be better without the big sign
on the right. Nice positioning of bodies, good grab.

Roderick Chen - First there's a hand, looks mummified, then you notice
the skull, it's not the moon. Now you notice it's on old parchment and
a kind of 4 by 5 full frame border. It's a depressing image, but a
well done image. Perhaps a bit closely cropped on the sides.

Richard Cooper (Reflections) - I like this, a tad too much magenta for
my taste though. I assume this reflection is not a real reflection.
Would it ever have been nice if it looked a tad more real. Perhaps
masked onto just the window panes.

Gregory david Stempel (The Farm) - Yes, the farm is a bit too small as
it is. Hey, select it out, blow it up, and put it back in there
larger. Lucky day to find a sky like that.

Marilyn Dalrymple - The wittle mousie wooks wike he's sweeping, ahhhh.
Be nice cropped in tight with just the mouse and the cat's face.
Snapshotish lighting but it's not really art, is it?

Brian van den Broek (Time Enough) - Interesting 3 dimensionality with
ther reflections, this photo has a strange reality to it where I
expect the hands to move and to hear a ticking. In other words, well
done. Course a more interesting reflection might have made this a
really super photo.

Dan Mitchell (Boxes) - If you squint you can imagine these are strange
apartment buildings. Otherwise colourful, it's not an impressive
image. The cropping could either be tighter, or less tight. As it is,
just the edges are cut off on the sides, which makes it a bit strange.

Christy Bright (Souvenirs) - Well, try and hold the camera a little
more steady. I think this should be a bit sharper. Are you using
bilinear downsampling? Right side is cut off a bit too much. Nice
lively and colourful image though.

Greg Fraser (Fall) - I love the effect, the leaves, and the tree, but
I'm a bit put off by the angle of it all. I believe this image would
have really shined at a normal shooting angle. It just looks tilted.
Wonderful texture though, and the blurring of the leaves really
contrasts with that.

Brian Chandler (Botty) - I've also seen some strange statues in Temple
grounds. The hold bird poop stain adds some humour to it, but the red
flag thing kind of spoils it. Maybe cropped too tight. Nothing special
as it is.

King/Arthur (Up/Down) - Hmmm is about all I can say. Keep working with
this effect until you get something with better content.

D.L. Shipman (November Pumpkins, Englewood 2002) - I know that
afternoon light in the fall, perhaps a bit darkish, but that's the way
pumpkins often look in the late afternoon in fall. Overall, not enough
of a real interest point to make it special. And one big dark shadow
kind of spoils it too.

Well, I'm glad to add my reviews to the many others this week. This
was certainly a more uplifting gallery than last week's. Keep at it!