Re: film scanning output format

In a message dated 12/1/02 15:13:26, kostaspapakotas@hotmail.com writes:

<< the real question is...can i make a single scan (tiff format), and adapt
it
to net size? >>

Yes, Kostas, use the "Save for Web" option in Photoshop.  There is really
little point in the wasted time and effort of making two scans.  The "Save
for Web" option lets you determine the dimensions in pixels as well as the
amount of  jpeg compression to determine final file size.

I can't help with your TIFF questions except to say that it depends on where
the file is destined.  I work on a Mac and do a regular photo where the final
destination is a b&w newspaper.  The people I send the image to have Windows.
 I send them an IBM formatted TIFF file with LZW compression--works fine for
newpaper use.  If I understand it correctly LZW is a "lossless" compression
format whereas JPEG is "lossy"--in other words some data is lost every time a
JPEG is compressed and then again every time it is re-saved.

I recently graduated to Photoshop 7 from PS4 and the differences are fairly
amazing.  I've found it a blessing to subscribe to the Photoshop discussion
list at http://www.listmoms.net/lists/photoshop/

Cheers,

Rich Mason
Photographer-at-Large