Re: Virus alert and what to do

> I will no longer open an attachment without being dead certain it is
safe,
> and if there are no warnings, this appears to be my only defense.
Certain attacments are safe, but the ONLY three I open are
jpg
gif
txt

(note, beware "double extesions" safename.jpg.exe!)

> Is there something I'm missing about "DO NOT POST 'virus warnings'"?
Yes, read Chandler's post.
Alternatively, follow the common advice of "use google first".
It took 30 sec to establish that yesterday's hoax was a hoax simply by
going to Sophos (or Panda, or Trend, or Norton, or ..........) and
reading what the experts had to say about it.   That 30 sec is time
well spent if it saves me passing on an uninformed warning to several
hundred addresses in my address book ... who would have to pass it on
to several hundred ... who each would have to pass ->
By the end of the week my warnings are coming back from thousands ...
that's how "hoax viruses" propagate!

Please though, don't take my word as gospel.
Just go to one virus page and read what the experts have to say ...

http://www.pandasoftware.com/library/hoax.htm
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html
http://vil.mcafee.com/hoax.asp
http://www.f-secure.com/virus-info/hoax/