Re: pricing

Well, it's a good thing that you've consolidated your time so efficiently. That gives you an opportunity to increase your profit, not lower your prices.

Your price reflects the value you place on your work. If you want to be thought of as "pretty good" then have "pretty good" prices. If you want to be thought of as "something special" then take a lesson from that guy whose site people were recommending.

If you know that you're "excellent" then ask for "excellent" recompense and be willing to give a bit to those who can't afford you. "I'm sure we can work something out (so you can have the best in town)" is something many good photographers get accustomed to saying. When the customer sees the results the checkbook all of a sudden has the money in it. Customers do recognize skillful handling and a good product. They do recognize professionalism and the difference between that and Wal*Mart or the local photo shop's passport pictures.

If you're the lab, then you need to set your lab persona's time at some value too. There's no way you can be the lab as inexpensively as the local custom machine photo shop can, however.

So I'm in favor of setting your price to reflect what you think you're skills are worth, and then doing deals with customers who really are struggling.

Just always make the invoice out to reflect the listed price.