Re: Digital VS real photography

At 09:53 AM 11/12/2002 -0500, Greg Fraser wrote:
>I have never owned a digital camera but until last week my printing was
>all done by whomever happened to be at the local minilab the day I dropped
>off my film.

[snip]

>I spent a week struggling with the basics of dodging and burning and
>filtering VC paper and I've got to say that the satisfaction from clicking
>a mouse in Photoshop doesn't come close to the satisfaction from creating
>a print in the darkroom.

I've been into photography for a long time.  I got my first 35mm camera in
1978 and was developing my own shortly there after.  To this day, almost 25
years later, I very vividly remember watching that first photo materialize
in front of my eyes in that developer tray.    It was the most way cool
thing ever in my photographic life.  I loved darkroom time and I still do
like B&W darkroom time.   However color in the darkroom is a royal pain in
the patuti.  1/4 degree temperature variances.   Operating with no safe
light.   Waiting 20 minutes for the Temperature of your chemistry to come
to an acceptable level.    Printing a color print and not having a white
light to make filter adjustments, watching the $$$ fly out the window
because you blew that color 8x10 and would have to do another . . . in
total darkness.....

When it comes to color, I want to stay as far from the darkroom as
possible.  Digital is great.  I can see on my screen a very good
representation on what I will get on my prints.    Its a wonderful thing.

Having been a professional digital photographer now for over three years,
there is no turning back.   Eventually I want to put my darkroom back into
commission and play with B&W just for fun, but its such a low priority now
its not even funny.

Rob
--
Rob Miracle