Gallery

D.L. Shipman
Betty's Rose:  This is a pleasing photograph.  It has a 3-D quality - due to the dark background, I think.  Nice detail.  I feel as if I could actually touch the petals and feel their velvetiness (did I just invent a word?).

Deen Hameed
Light On Water:  I, too, am fascinated by the reflections and movement of water playing on rocks and sand.  It has kind of a poetic feel to it, doesn't it?  This photograph says "peace and tranquility."  I like it.

John Lee
Leap!:  Since your description doesn't say - are we to assume this is a self portrait, John? {;->  Whether it is or not, it's a delightful photograph.  I like the fact that the subject is going out of the frame.  It gives a feel of the joy and playfulness of running through the sprinkler.

Christopher Strevens
Dorking Cemetery:  I see the irony of the juxtaposition of the restaurant sign and the cemetery.  I can't quite tell that the scene behind the sign is a cemetery, though, and wouldn't have known without your description.  Perhaps the photograph could be taken from a higher angel (you do carry 20 foot ladders everywhere with you, don't you, Chris?) then the headstones would be more visible.

King/Arthur
Kieran's Irish Pub:  I thought this was comical and interesting.  The message of the photograph(s) actually says a lot.  How such a small and simple change (removing glasses) can give a totally different perspective on something.

Greg Fraser
Siesta:  Nice textures and design.  This photograph shows a portrait does not always have to be "face on" to be affective.

Jose Luis Vasconcellos
The day my father died:  When first viewing this photograph, and before reading your description, Jose, I knew it showed death and not just someone taking a nap.  I was a little shocked, although I don't know why.  I see death in the newspapers and on newscasts everyday.  Maybe I was shaken because we don't see it in the Photoforum gallery, often.  Now I've had time to think about the image, I find it touching and revealing.  My take is that you wanted to share a very important and personal moment with us, Jose.  Thank you for trusting us with your feelings.

David Small
Long May They Wave:  A great photojournalistic (my take on the subject) shot.  I can see this in the newspaper or in Newsweek.

Jeff Spirer
Homage to Don Manuel:  Photographically I like all the textures and tones in this image.  Feeling-wise I think this photograph denotes your sadness and respect for the artist this photograph pays homage to.  You achieved what you were after, Jeff.

Bob Talbot
Nature Abstract:  I have no idea what this is, Bob.  Will you please let us in on the subject matter?  Photographically it is well done and very interesting - in other words, a successful image.

Angela Turnpaugh:  This slice-of-life photograph shows exactly how a group of 12 year-old boys would look while learning to line dance.  I can almost read their minds by looking at the expressions on their faces.

Rob Miracle
Falling Falls Fall:  Don't be so hard on yourself, Rob.  This is a very nice photograph.  I like the way you used the tree branch as framing; you got the colors of the trees and brush , their reflections in the water, and the feel of falling water.  If it were my image, I'd have brightened the orange and yellows of the trees and brush a little.  The slight curve in the scene gives the image an expansive feel.

Thank you to all who shared their work and to Andy and his hard-working staff for hanging the exhibit.

Marilyn Dalrymple