Message from Scott Thurmond being forwarded FYI

From: T. Scott Thurmond <tthurmond9@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 07:12:00 -0400
Subject: Re:Scott Thurmond's image,  Gallery, Oct. 19, 2002

Thank all of you for your comments on my image, "The Old Gatehouse."  I'm
hoping that this gets through since, for some reason, I've been unable to
post to the Forum from my present address.

Mt. Hope cemetery was constructed in 1838, as was the gatehouse (although I
think it's been restored at least once), and is considered one of the finest
examples of a Victorian cemetery in the country (a lot of Victorian Gothic
monuments and crypts, a great place at Halloween).  What's also interesting
is the terrain it's built on, which was formed by receding glaciers, and the
fact that it is also forms part a larger arboretum with some rare trees
(I've seen at least one American Chestnut tree).   It's the final resting
site for Frederick Douglass, Susan B. Anthony, Paul Robeson, the entire
Bausch and Lomb family (or most of it, anyway), and many famous scientists
and entrepreneurs.  It's also one of the most photographed parts of
Rochester (RIT and University of Rochester students are always in there
looking for that next great shot).  When I was in Rochester I lived two
blocks from there and spent many hours just walking around among the grave
sites, very relaxing.

Anyway, back to your questions;

Bob, I've used grayscale conversion in Photoshop , as well as channel
selection and the Channel Mixer.  I've also used Russell Brown's technique
for color to B&W conversion.  While Russell's technique is the best of the
lot, none give the same level of control over the different tonal regions
that Convert to B&W gives.  It's very nice software, and I'll probably end
up buying it (there's also a professional version of this software).

Oh yes, Emily, the T-Max and Tri-X settings are pre-progammed to give the
effects these two film types impart.  Not sure how successful this is (my
image was done using the Tri-X effect).  Thanks again for your suggestions.

Marilyn, the gatehouse is still very much in use, but by The Friend's of Mt.
Hope.  A volunteer organization that tends some of the more ornate, and
famous, grave sites, and gives history tours of the cemetery.  They also
have a published book of photography of the cemetery, which, unfortunately,
is out of print.

Craig, welcome back, and sorry about the divorce!  I enjoy shooting in B&W,
but since I've left Rochester (I'm living in Greenbelt, MD) I no longer have
convenient access to a darkroom.  I've threatened to evict my cat from his
bathroom and turn it into a film processing darkroom, but he's been pretty
adamant about not giving it up (and I have the scars to prove it!).

Once again, thanks for reviewing my photograph, and I hope to be a more
active contributor to the Forum in the future (if we can get this email
problem straightened out).

Scott