Gallery Review: 2002-10-26

Work now on display at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html
includes:

Christiane Roh - Lausanne, Pl. de la Riponne, aot 2002
Street photography: unstructured. Is Christiane invisible?  The two
girls look to the right, the boy to the left.  It's as if they have
not noticed the camera.  Also, it makes me wonder what I'm supposed to
take from this.  Time and place - well, month and place anyway.

Richard Cooper - Take Cover
Forboding clouds - the title spares me from making the gaffe about it
being underexposed - it is meant to be dark.
It needs something though: a silhoutted figure at the end of the
jetty?  "French Lieutenant's Woman" style.

What are the blobs in the water:  ducks?

Guy Glorieux - Montreal - Lachine Canal
OK, inverted it looks less interesting than as the negative.
Paper negatives as the end product - maybe it will catch on.

There is something fascinating about looking at monochrome negatives

Christopher Strevens, LRPS - Mother and Child
I can see the family resemblance even through the filiters.
PhotoShop filters to me are those things you play with when you first
get the program then, apart from unsharp mask, noise and guassian
blur, do well to forget about.  They spoil a good picture.

This is not an unattracive image as presented:  so maybe they are a
way to liven up a bad shot ;o)

jIMMY Harris - bMimosa Tree
Ah, hadn't seen the seed pods before.
"Sensitive plant" - is that the one.  Stroke the leaves and they fold
(?)

We're lacking critical sharpness where it matters:  on the brown seed
pods which I feel are the subject.
I'll have a look in the Oxford botanical garden tomorrow - see if
their mimosa has seeds.

Peeter Vissak - Behind the corner of the Columns
I'm confused by the choice of framing:  we're shown "Avventre" but not
the shop.
What does the word mean translated (and is it important)?
"For sale", "adventure".

For stone columns I want to feel the texture of the stone.  This does
not hold that amount of detail.

Bob Talbot - Lion number two
This picture is shit, a load of crap.
Where is lion number one?

Dan Mitchell - F7
My missus looked over my shoulder and said "nice picture, it's not
yours is it"

It's F/7 (the shadow of the rope).
So much more a photographer's picture if it had been F8

It is nice, it is simple, it is F7

Emily L. Ferguson  - Tihonet Pond moment
Reflections - this one is half and half down the middle.
It does not hold my interest for long ...

Andrew Davidhazy - In your dreams
Yea, right Andy. This is "your" style.  What a fraud you are putting
in a pile of old pipes.

Very interesting shot BTW:  I'm sure the story behind it is as
interesting as the image, some alternative process no doubt.
It looks to be a negative: yes, unlike Guy's this one looks better to
me as the positive.

Top shot this week would have to be between  Dan and Andy
Bottom is the lion.