Re: Art or fart ?

I guess I will take some time and explain my reason behind my topic for my paper: I myself am thoroughly convinced that photography is definitely a form of art. But about 90% of the students in the art program here think otherwise.  So, I have set out to try to show them that it is a form of art, and thank you whoever it was for Duchamp's example of the urinal fountain. The whole Dada art movement had slipped my mind somehow.  And this, for me, is not an easy topic.  That is why I have refered to all of you for help in formulating ideas, etc...

--

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 18:28:54
 Brian Blankenship wrote:
>To "AnyWho":
>
>To someone who is a "Photographer" and even thinks of asking "Is
>Photography and Art?" have never even touched a camera. I mean really. Any
>scene, any still-life, any person, anything I point my camera at can be
>shot a any number of ways. AND as long as you intended to get the results
>you got, you did it well. Even a street scene where i have no control what
>so ever, I can still control how the camera records the scene, and how it
>is printed. I could even take elements of numerous images and combine them
>into one. Every image I snap the shutter on is something I have at least a
>little thought out.
>

>Personally the only reason a photo major writing a paper for his English
>class would choose the topic, "Is Photography and Art?" Is because they
>wanted an easy topic to answer. How can anyone be a photo major even think
>to ask that seriously unless they have no respect at all for their own
>work. A parent who just wants a snapshot of their child playing in the yard
>sprinklers, just wants to capture that moment and hold on to it forever...
>But with just a few seconds of thinking anyone of us here could easily come
>up with 3, 4, 8 or even more great shots of the very same moment.
>

>Brian Blankenship
>B & N Graphics
>http://www.bngraphics.com
>
>"Under God" And "In God We Trust"
>
>"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." ~ Robin
>Williams
>
>"Freedom was attacked today by a faceless coward, and freedom will be
>defended." ~ George W. Bush 9-11-2001
>
>"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
>to have succeeded." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
>
>"Not all who wander are lost..."  ~ J.R.R. Tolkien
>
>"Simplifying a Composition - One time when Ansel was shooting in the
>Sierras with some friends, he came away from his camera and walked into the
>scene. He grabbed a hold of a tree limb, ripped it off the tree, and tossed
>it aside. When his more environmentally concerned friends made an uproar,
>he simple stated that it did not belong in the picture." ~ Ansel Adams
>Autobiography

Get 250 full-color business cards FREE right now!
http://businesscards.lycos.com