Re: Photography as Art?

At 09:17 AM 10/25/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>Mr. Zinn, (And everyone included) could you refer some of those
bibliographies, and URL's to me?  I have found one or two books, and have
reffered to the Lenswork website, but I am not sure if I have enough to
write a 10 pg paper.

>Thanks again
>
>One more thing, may I have permission from all of you to quote what you
have said in my paper?
>--
>
>On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 09:58:20
> Alan Zinn wrote:
>>At 05:57 PM 10/23/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>>>Hello everyone.
>>>I am just another list lurker, and have learned a lot from all of your
>>comments.
>>>I am a photography major working on a Bachelors at Brigham young University
>>Idaho.  I am writing a paper for an English class, and have chosen the topic
>>of "Is Photography Art?"  I wish to pose this question to all of you on the
>>list, and I humbly request all of your opinios on the matter.  I also would
>>like to ask everyone why do you photograph? and what, if anything, are you
>>trying to "say" with your photography?
>>>
>>>All of your comments will be greatly appreciated
>>>
>>>Andrew Duncan
>>>

>>Mr. D,
>>
>>Looks like somebody doesn't want to really do some book research. Kid's
>>now-a-days, they think everything is on the Internet...
>>
>>Why don't you ask the list for a bibliography, or if you can't bear to moove
>>from yer tube, some URL's.
>>
>>AZ

Andy,

Just a few URL's - most have link pages.
http://masters-of-photography.com/index.html
http://www.newcastle.edu.au/department/fad/fi/woodrow/analysis.htm
http://photography.about.com/library/
http://www.photoarts.com/reviews/
http://www.sfcamerawork.org/
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s/

Off the top of my head bib:

The Photograph: A Strange Confined Space, Mary Price

The Photograph, Graham Clarke

The Privileged Eye, Max Kozloff

Criticizing Photographs, Terry Barrett

Anything by John Berger

Read the first one and you will have enough to do a hundred page paper.

Good luck.

btw It's un-Post-Modern to ask if any medium is art. In the right hands...

AZ

Build a Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book.
http://www.panoramacamera.us