Re: Just how do filters work?

> I just thought extinction was a formulae modelling the observations.
of the
> form A*e(exp(-Bx))  The solution of the differential equation for
> extinction, you know....?  That the loss of light per unit length is
> proportional to the light intensity at that point....
>
> Chris.

It seems from a bit of research that the Extinction Theorem is not
discredited quackery in itself but sadly it seems to be a favourite
reference for pseudoscientists - like the one I quoted.

The real theorem Dan referred to exists - though there seems to be no
good explanation of it on line (you have to buy a book).  I'm gonn try
to look it up in Blackwell's on Sunday.

In physics there are a lot of counter-intuitive thingumies.  Are they
real?  Does it matter?

In general the questions cannot be answered (are unanswerable) so are
moot ....

Bob