Re: beyond the cliche image

At 03:41 PM 10/23/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I've been shooting fall colors for a week now with Provia 100.  I've
>never consistently bracketed around what my camera recommended, and
>I'm doing so now by 1/3 stop to either side of the camera's
>recommendation.  I nearly always shoot in aperture priority,
>selecting my f stop based on how much depth of field I want, or how
>lazy I am about getting out the tripod.
>
>Now no one could argue with the fact that fall colors in New England
>are, hmm, shall we say, uh, overdone?  And although there are
>wonderful small differences between the topography and geology and
>even plant ecology of different sections of New England, suffice it
>to say that there are creeks, rivers, maple trees, beech trees and
>oak trees all of which conspire to product a heady wine of color for
>anyone sensitive to the outside world.
>
>So as I look at my slides I try to work my way through the morass
>towards something original.  I've been dutiful about the tripod and
>the bracketing, and spent time composing and hours and gasoline by
>the tankful seeking interesting vantage points.
>
>But I'd like to see what others on this list think about the element
>or combination that makes an image rise above the classic, or cliché
>(if you prefer).
>
>Do any of you have a checklist of design elements, or guidelines
>about color or about perspective that you retreat to when you find
>yourself drunk on the subject matter and seeking a basis from which
>to move to something unique?

Emily,

Don't worry about it so much.  First, the likelihood of anyone making an
original New England Fall color picture is slim.   Make pictures that you
enjoy seeing. Second, if you can't resist, make the best crafted example of
the subject you can. Most of us find satisfaction in that. I go out with a
camera about this time out of habit and might stumble on to something
interesting but, as yet, I haven't gotten anything I'd put in an exhibition.
I've gotten decorative pictures for gifting to friends which is enjoyable.
My inclination is usually to just enjoy the scenery My insurance guy will
send me a calendar.

AZ

Build a Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book.