Re: beyond the cliche image

> But I'd like to see what others on this list think about the element
> or combination that makes an image rise above the classic, or cliché
Well, if you look at an image and feel sure you have seen it before it gives a pretty good clue ;o)

The standard "camera-club-judge" comment on such images revolves around using other people's tripod holes.

> Do any of you have a checklist of design elements, or guidelines
> about color or about perspective that you retreat to when you find
> yourself drunk on the subject matter and seeking a basis from which
> to move to something unique?
The quest to be different for diffence sake is best left to adolescence - there is a sameness about the way some people end up being different.
Butt you could go for shock-tactics ...
http://yonkis.ya.com/imagenes7/museo/m1.htm

Personally, if I look through the viewfinder and realise I've seen the scene before I tend not to take the shot (unless it's for the family photo-diary).  That does not mean actively seeking differences - just seeing them when they appear.  Actually just seeing what is all around us every day and not rejecting the unusual.

OH, and don't get hung up on whatever rules others have laid down for you, even if they are Galen Rowell ;o)

Bob

PS ... if you do find sommat different, don't expect your mum to like it  ;o)

Freeserve AnyTime, only £13.99 per month with one month's FREE trial!
For more information visit http://www.freeserve.com/time/ or call free on 0800 970 8890