Re:Just how do filters work?

At 11:54 AM 10/22/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>> Is that the way filters work? I know they prevent the passage of >light
but just exactly how do they do it? Is it a wavelength >interference voodoo
or is it just tiny bits of opaque material in the >glass?

>  'Tis magic, I tell ya'
>
>  Leaping electrons.  Diversionary tactics. The wavelengths absorbed are
determined by the molecules in the filter having an orbit/level that an
electron can jump into when struck by a particular wavelength of light. This
is how selected wavelengths are absorbed. Current chemical technology allows
designers to exercise fairly precise control over what wavelengths will be
absorbed.

>It is useful to remember that filters work by susbtraction,
> by selectively keeping part of the spectrum and/or volume of incoming
light from reaching the film. Color filters work by absorbing
>their complimentary colors. Where these absorptions occur, they
>leave blank areas in the negative, which reproduce as dark/black
>on the print. Most filters do not totally block out their complimentary
>colors, but simply attenuate them considerably.
>
>         --- Luis

There, see? I told ya.... little guys (molecules) dressed in primary colors
waving at the light as it comes by... .   Just like Luis sez, 'cept with all
them big words..

AZ

Build a Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book.