Re: file formats

"Robert G. Earnest" <robert@earnestphoto.com> writes:

> Will not an image print better at 150 or 300 ppi than at 72 ppi?

Depends what you're using to print, and what making the change
involves.

The basic answer is that DPI in an image file *means nothing*.
Really.  Absolutely no meaning.  It conveys no information.  It serves
no purpose.  The only effect it has is to cause confusion, such as
this thread, over and over and over again.

> If the answer is yes, then...

So I think of the answer as being "no".  But it depends exactly what
you mean by the question.  Having more resolution, up to a point, will
result in better printing.

> Is this in fact the best way to change the ppi of an image? Or dpi if
> you are considering, as I do, each pixel to be a digital dot.

The "do not resample" box you mention, and which I mentioned in a
different DPI encoded in it.  But I've never ever seen a situation
where that mattered -- except when dealing with ignorant people I was
sending a file to, where it was easier to change the number than teach
them their jobs.  You may well need to deal with that situation also,
of course!  So that's the best way I know.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net  /  http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net