Re: file formats

r,

You are on the right track. Your question has to do with final output or print
size while the thread so far I believe has been about display on a monitor. The
image size on a monitor is a function of the image pixel count and the monitor
"resolution" - higher resolution monitors will show smaller displayed sizes
than those with coarser resolution.

When it comes to printed output then you can specify how big you want the print
to be and the same picture data will then be spread out over smaller or larger
areas of paper - effectively making the dots on the paper larger or smaller
depending on how many you have available originally to fill a given distance on
a piece of paper. Generally, at the printed side of the house 300 dpi is asked
for by printers to assure high quality reproduction. (I think you don't quite
need that but ...) If you will be printing with an ink-jet printer or similar
this can go down to 150 or 200 dpi I think).

So given a fixed pixel count from the camera you can get the theoretically
highest printed quality by making that data fill a very small printed
reproduction. On the other hand, fitting all that data on a screen will result
in very large display sizes on a monitor which has a fixed "pitch" so to speak.
In this case you downsample a file to make it fit the intended purpose.

quack reply before coffe this morn ...
andy