Re: file formats

"Robert G. Earnest" <robert@earnestphoto.com> writes:

> Who shit in your Sake, Chandler?
> Let me rephrase the question.

Well, OK, I'll try to explain as patiently as I can. But you're about to
rephrase a (fundamentally) meaningless question, so the result is likely
to be equally meaningless.

> I have a Canon G2 which I have been very happy with. My purposes for the
> camera have never once included actually printing one of the images.

Right, so if for example it produces [don't know actual figure] images
which are 2400 x 1600 pixels, you can display these on a big enough
screen, or display them on a street display of 2400 x 1600 coloured
light bulbs. In any event, as long as you display all the pixels in the
image, the amount of detail in the hair (or whatever) doesn't change. It
doesn't make any difference whether the 2400 x 1600 screen is CRT or
LCD, or the precise pixel spacing, and even if the street pixels are
each the size of a television screen, you see exactly the same amount of
detail. (Modulo factors like the lighting quality.) This should
immediately suggest to you that it is not possible to measure image
quality by how far apart the pixels are.

> It had occurred to me that 72 ppi was probably not the optimum resolution
> to print with as all the scans I have ever had anything to do with were
> professional drum scans done at 300 dpi.

>From the end: "drum scans at 300 dpi"??? Am I totally misunderstanding?
I thought drum scanners were for negatives. Scanning a 35 mm negative at "300
dpi" gives you an image about 450 x 300, which doesn't sound very
professional to me. Trouble is, perhaps they *do* say "300 dpi", by
which they mean at a certain printed image size, the dots would be
spaced roughly 10 to the mm. Well, if the size they have in mind happens
to be 4 furlongs by 6 furlongs, this is a stupendously high quality
image; if it happens to be 1 x 1.5 cm, it's a stupendously low quality
image. This would be a stupid way to say how you're scanning,
particularly since a 35mm negative is a physical object with physical
dimensions, so it makes semi-perfect sense to say scan the 35mm neg at
2400 dpi. Only semi-perfect, since the negative is 36 x 24 mm, and it's
pretty silly to insist on clinging to obsolete units for measuring it
in.

> So, I noticed, in a quick look that if I simply go under "Image
Size"...

Yes, but only "Image Size" in Photoshop. Photoshop may have some good
features, but it has a brain-dead notion of what image size is.
Photoshop isn't really an image manipulation program at all, it's a
print preprocessing system, intended for graphic designers and the like,
who are working entirely on (real, physical) paper. Even so, "Image
Size" is the wrong term, since it seems to mean - "For the particular
(notional) physically sized piece of paper in your hand, the size of the
file representing it in information content terms." Or was it "change
the size of the piece of paper, while not affecting the image in any
way"?? Anyway, it's only there to confuse you.

> A change to 300 dpi will afford me an image 7.573x5.68 inches with a
> 2272x1704 pixel count.
>
> Now I would normally assume that this is the best way to do it.

No. It might be the Photoshop way to do it, but that is never going to
be the best anything.

> So, with no regards to how long your Pi is or big your pixels are... I
> will ask again.
> Will not an image print better at 150 or 300 ppi than at 72 ppi?

If you mean "Will an image which is 2400 x 1600 pixels print better at
300 ppi than at 72 ppi?" then the answer is "No, it will print smaller."

If you mean "If two images are of different sizes and when printed, one
at 300 ppi, the other at 72 ppi, come out the same print dimensions,
will one be of higher quality?" then the answer is "Yes, the one which
is a larger resolution - (300/72)^2 times as many pixels as the other
one - will print with higher quality because it is a (pixel-)larger
image." But this is really only tautology: the higher quality image will
print with higher quality.

> Is this in fact the best way to change the ppi of an image? Or dpi if
> you are considering, as I do, each pixel to be a digital dot.

So, again, we have to ask: What do you mean by "changing the ppi of an
image". Clue: the jpeg format (for example) has (UIMM) absolutely no
information in it called "ppi" or "physical dimensions", any more than
my signature at the end of this plain text email has a font size. I
actually set PaintShopPro to a "pixel spacing" of 1 pixel per cm; this
eliminates confusing and meaningless numbers everywhere. No-one has yet
complained that my images are (n/2.54)^2 times worse than theirs are.
Actually, I could change the "ppi" of my last image submitted to the
gallery by telekinesis: I just _think_ it 25400 ppi, or 0.7 ppp (pixels
per parsec).

Here's a useful web reference: http://manual.gimp.org/manual/GUM/Migrate.html
It's a comparative review of The GIMP and Photoshop, but the part of
interest is where they simply have to explain that Photoshop terminology
and interface presentation is out of kilter with GIMP (and with everyone
else, of course) everywhere it talks about "image size" and related
issues.

Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
Jigsaw puzzles from Japan at: