Re: digital camera question - now old lag

>   This business of lag time, which used to be expressed in tens of
> milliseconds in the Fred Flintstone era of Leica M 3s and Nikon Fs,
> turned into tenths of a second with the advent of AF, and now
> into much more with the lower-tier digital cameras.

Ain't that the truth.

With some SLR's firing off at 12 frames per sec AFTER they have missed
the decisive moment.
OK, my SLR (EOS RT) is as fast (8 ms) as any reflex when I want it to
be so long as I'm using manual focus.  The biggest overhead in terms
of delay is one both we and Olympic sprinters have to live with - the
1/10th sec encoded into our CNS.

> One can only surmount it by becoming
> better at predicting the future a few more tenths of a second.
Sounds
> simple, but it is not. Of course, for static subjects, this is of no
consequence.

Prediction /  anticipation is part of allmost all photography.
Yesterday I missed a cracker.  I was looking at a scene - camera on my
shoulder and thought "shame the sky is too empty - needs some
interst".  Damn, 7 geese flew over in v formation right through where
they were needed  - the lag in getting the camera from shoulder to eye
was too long I'm afraid  ;o(

Bob