Gallery Review 2002-10-05

PhotoForum member's gallery/exhibit space
work now on display at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

>                jIMMY Harris - The Cormorant Club
A good composition - a fun arrangement.  The technical flaws get in
the way of me enjoying it though.
I keep looking at the sky and wondering why patches look smooth and
other bits look heavily over-sharpened.

B&W negative or a scan of the print?  Don't know.
A good silver print of this may well be a cracking shot but what we
are shown is brittle.

>                Christopher Strevens - Shopping
Ah, almost a Spirer shot (Jeff will probably explain why this could
not have been his).

Interesting and I quite like it - maybe I would have loved it if the
camera had been held steady.  The people moving are fine but the
pavers show camera shake (?).
Anyway - a departure in style for Chris ...

>                Elson T. Elizaga -
What is going on?

Looks a hostile crowd.  Who is the guy in the shirt?  A Big-Brother
evictee?

Maybe he is a star locally and all the crowd are his fans:  to me he
is nothing though.

>                Dan Reeves - The Snowbirds
All in the frame - frame filling.

print or neg?
Clouds have magenta cast.

Would have liked some colour on the planes - fill flash ;o)

>                Emily L. Ferguson - Reciprocity Failure - desatted
Good choice to leave the light yellow-red.
Has none of the impact of the blue version.

>                John Mason - Blue: Delmar Boulevard, St. Louis
Decided to call this my "Pick of the Week".

It's the sort of shot I should not like - camera club fare.
But this one works for me on several levels.
The shadow on the wall, the coloured stripes, the reflection of the
stripes on the boot, the shadow on the car,

If I had a question it would concern where the stripes intersect with
the hood: would it have been better if the photographer was a foot
taller?

Good work.

>                D.L. Shipman -
Nice background brokeh ... the tips hard left being out of focus
distracts.
Why not lead it in from the top right corner - or is that cliched?

>                Jim Snarski -  GoldFlower
Backlit against black background.  Sommat seems wrong though.
Is this a "straight" photograph or is the background heavily
PhotoShopped?

The flower itself is lovely - the rim light on the upper right petal
looks excessive, or is that the old unsharp mask effect?

>                Dan Mitchell - Spherical objects
"What time is it?"
"Depends where you stand sir."

A nice arrangement but lacks critical sharpness.
I'm looking at the shadows and wondering if this could be retaken with
the sum on the front of the building to give it some colour?

Maybe step to the left (and crouch down a little)? To me the
balls/post would look better a little bit further right from the clock
tower.

>                Jeff Spirer - Chicago
This one is Jeff's
To me it's a "part of a series" shot.
As an isolated image it is not working for me but it is well taken.

>                Richard Cooper - Faces
I guess you had to be there (in the war I mean).

The picture - to me looks just a record of a group of people rather
than capturing any "decisive moment"

My gran would have said "shame all the eyes are in shadow"

BobT