Re: digital camera question

At 07:36 PM 10/1/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm considering buying the Canon Powershot G2. Anyone have any experience
>with it or any thoughts on its quality? Is it suitable for professional
>use? It comes highly recommended from a photographer whose work with it I
>adore, but I was hoping to get a few other opinions before I lay down the
>cash.

I think the Canon G2 is probably the best point and shoot digital camera
out there with regards to image quality.  The image quality is in the same
ball park as the digital SLR's.

Most point and shoot digital camera's sensors are about the size of a 110
negative.  Most of the digital SLR's are more like an APS  frame in size
for the same number of pixels.  The dSLR's have larger sensors which give
wider ISO ranges and lower noise.    However the G2's image appear as if
they were shot on a dSLR.    If I were recommending a digital point and
shoot where image quality was the #1 factor, it would be the one.

However, like every other digital point & shoot, there are a lot of
annoying quirks that drive 35mm hobbyists and pros batty, like pressing the
shutter release and it actually firing 15 seconds later (AF isn't quick).

If you go into a G2 expecting the focusing, and easy of selecting aperture
and shutter speed as your 35mm film SLR, you will be disappointed.

Rob

Thanks,
Rob
--