RE: Taking a look at the Gallery

> I recognize that perhaps most of my gallery reviews are either insensitive, ignorant or on a really good day both. I generally look quite hard at a photo to try and find something I can relate to and therefore make a positive comment about but there are times when I just can't relate to the image and quite often that is due to my ignorance.

Nah:  say what you mean and stick to it.
Honest opinions are hard to come by.

>I just don't have the artistic or photographic background that many of the list members possess.
You submit reviews ... that's good enough for me.
I try to get round to it - but (as with last week) I can't always find the time.

>I don't know 99% of the famous photographers mentioned on the list
Ditto!

>So sure, sometimes people get offended when I say I don't understand or can't relate to an image but hey, what else can I say?
Heck, an image is like a joke:  if you have to explain it it probably wasn't that good after all ;o)

>Other times I'm just in one of those 'moods' where my brain shifts a bit in my head and nothing but insensitivity spills out but of course that's a biological thing and I am powerless to stop it.
Have you met Bobert ?

> I don't see the 50k limit as a hindrance at all.
It is a limit:  some images just don't compress well (too much fine detail) so I don't send them.  For others 50K is plenty. I compress images with jpeg wizard before sending them in.  If the quality suffers too much they
a) don't get submitted
b) get downsized first

>Remember, don't blame the tools, blame the photographer.
Blame the photographer for using the wrong tools maybe?
A lot of images come in with huge headers (exif, profile, embedded thumbnails).  These take up space that could be used for image detail.

Bob Talbot

Freeserve AnyTime, only £13.99 per month with one month's FREE trial!
For more information visit http://www.freeserve.com/time/ or call free on 0800 970 8890